Farmers Market Salad (A.K.A, I ❤ Veggies)
Yesterday, I got to do one of the things I love most: visit the farmers market! And September just happens to be my very favourite month to do this. This is the harvest. There is so much abundance, so much to be grateful for. So, of course, I went a little overboard and came home with heaping bags full of vegetables.
I get really excited about veggies. I guess I'm a little nerdy that way. I love their vibrant colours, aromas and textures. I love placing them in pretty bowls just to look at them. And, of course, I absolutely love to eat them! So when my sweets asked: 'What do you want for lunch?', I got a little giddy and answered: 'Salad!'. But trust me, this ain't no plain old boring salad... This is salad like - KA-BOOM!
This is love in a bowl. You'll love the crunchy, nutritious goodness and natural sweetness of golden beets (hello fibre, iron and so much more), red pepper (sooo much vitamin c) and fresh corn (antioxidants, I'm looking at you), paired with the earthiness of fresh green beens and sprouts, the creamy texture of white kidney beans, and the tanginess of olives and a super simple dressing. Mmmmm.
Amazing taste? Check. Vibrant nutrition? Check. Incredible texture? Check. Beauty in a bowl? Check. Super fast and easy to make? Check. Bountiful gratitude for all these incredible veggies and for the hands that grew them? Check, check, check.
FARMERS MARKET SALAD, Serves 2 (4 as a side)
For the salad
- 2 large handfuls of lettuce (I used a mix of red and green leaf lettuce), torn
- 1 ear of corn, cooked, kernels removed from cob
- 1 golden beet, peeled and grated
- 1 small red Hungarian sweet pepper (or red bell pepper), diced
- 1 handful of green beans, blanched and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 good handful of alfalfa sprouts (or other sprouts)
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 cup white kidney beans, previously cooked or canned
- 10 kalamata olives
For the dressing
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 1/2 Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs of raw apple cidre vinegar
- 1/2 Tbs of chickpea miso (or any other kind of miso you have on hand)
- 1 tsp of tamari (or coconut aminos)
Prepare corn, green beans and white navy beans ahead of time. See links for cooking instructions beside ingredients if needed.
Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl, except for the olives. Use a small jar or bowl to mix all the dressing ingredients together. Pour desired amount of dressing onto salad and toss well. Divide salad onto your 2 favourite plates or bowls and add 5 olives on each. Get ready for a whole lot of lovin' .